Sunday, May 31, 2009

Visit to LA

On the way back from ETAPS in the UK I stopped off in LA to visit Todd Millstein and some friends. Visiting UCLA was great fun and very interesting. I delivered a slightly rambling and jet-lagged talk about ownership, existential types, and wildcards and had some interesting discussions with Todd and his PhD students. They are doing some really interesting things on permissions, effects, and more; look out for their upcoming papers.

I also paid a visit to the Museum of Jurassic Technology. This is a museum in the old school sense - meant to entertain as much as educate. It is part living art, part museum, part collection of curios. It is probably the most fun I've had in a museum and many of the exhibits were genuinely beautiful and/or fascinating. If you ever have the misfortune of passing through LA, then I highly recommend a visit, it will improve your time in LA by an order of magnitude

No comments: